Life & Song

We love every culture and art. Their existence is valuable as well as being ourselves.

Monday, May 24, 2004

My Lovely Japanese Friend, Aiko

I am having dinner with Aiko at seven o’clock but I have a cold so I have to cancel the appointment. I called to her and I explained my situation. She was anxious about my health

After my class finished I came back home late. Besides the weather is as hot as a glasshouse so I am very tired. I am exhausted like as a salty welsh onion. I could not prepare dinner. Then Aiko visited my house and she gave a dish of sandwiches to me. She made it with her hands. I was impressed by her deep concern and I was thankful to her. She was shy. On the contrary she did not pride about her food skills.

She said to me,
“When you called me, your voice was too tired.”
“Be careful, take care of yourself!”
She is as tender as a mother. Because of her aid, I can forget strange foreign life in Penang for a while.

My husband and I ate the sandwiches, which were as sugary as honey and it was delicious food. Maybe the reason is not our hunger but her lovely mind.

“The neighborhood is my cousin.”

It is a proverb in Korea. It means that the neighborhood, who lives near is better than my relation who lives far. When I am urgent, a neighbor can help me from time to time. They are more familiar because they live next door.

Aiko is the first Japanese friend in Penang. Now she lives as a neighbor. First time I met her when I went to British Council, she was my classmate and we always were in the same group so we became close. When I talk with her I feel that she is similar with me.

She also likes Penang which has diverse culture and beautiful nature. She has an open mind and she tries to understand other people even though they are different from her thinking and religion. These are her good things.

Japan and Korea had been enemies with each other in history but she apologizes to me for Japan commits aggression to Korea. We talk about how to live and what life is true.

I often cannot understand her speech, but it is no problem. We have become an intimate friend. I will learn Japanese so I would like to talk with her more than now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home